Sometimes losing weight can feel like the most impossible task in the world, so I wanted to share these sneaky ways to lose 10 pounds QUICKLY, SAFELY, EASILY!!
1. USE A SMALLER PLATE. That’s it folks! Just because its dinner time doesn’t mean that you need to use a dinner plate. Try using a smaller plate to keep portion size in check. Research shows that women who used larger sized dinner plates continued to eat long after they were hungry and even to a point of feeling overly full. The American portion size is out of control compared to portions in other countries. Do yourself a favor & start with a smaller plate. You’ll be surprised!
2. WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING? If you eliminate soda from your diet, you will be shocked at how much weight you can lose. Drinking diet soda is not going to help you lose weight, and some studies show that you may actually gain weight due to the effect that some artificial sweeteners have on your brain causing it to CRAVE other sweets. When I eliminated diet soda from my diet, I lost 6-7 pounds in just a few weeks – and that happened without making any other modifications to my diet & exercise routine. If you need caffeine, switch to iced tea with lemon (avoid artificial sweeteners). Your best bet is to drink WATER, but it takes time to transition from drinking 10 Diet Cokes per day to drinking only water. Set reasonable expectations, but STOP the sodas right away!
3. EAT BREAKFAST. It may seem like encouraging you to eat more rather than fewer meals works against you — it doesn’t! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but choose wisely. Rather than grabbing a bagel with cream cheese & a hot mocha, choose a breakfast with both fiber and protein. My favorite breakfast is non-fat Greek yogurt with a few raspberries, natural granola, and a small serving to mixed nuts (like unsalted pistachios, almonds, and cashews) with a soy cappuccino. This gives me plenty of protein and a healthy dose of fiber first thing in the morning. Skipping breakfast causes you to make bad eating decisions for the rest of the day, and you could end up eating more food with little nutritional value.
4. SHORTEN YOUR WORKOUTS. You can burn more calories by doing short bursts of cardio throughout the day than by walking at your average pace on the treadmill for an hour. Do you stop by Starbucks every day on your way in to work? Instead of driving by on your way to the office, try starting off your day with a 15-20 minute walk to grab your morning coffee. Ready for your second cardio burst? Instead of sitting down gabbing with your colleagues for 30 minutes after you have finished eating lunch, grab one or two of them and take the talk outside! A 20-minute mid-day walk will give you more energy in the afternoon than that extra cup of coffee you were thinking about. Same thing in the evening — walk around your neighborhood after dinner or if you have a dog, try taking him out for a walk instead of just letting him out the back door.
5. MEAL PLANNING. Taking the time to plan healthy meals and snacks and make a grocery list can save you from eating a ton of extra fat & calories. There are so many meal-planning websites out there, you don’t have to even come up with the ideas yourself! Don’t forget to wash & cut fruits & veggies that you will use for snacks as soon as you get home from the store. This way, they are super easy to throw into the blender for a healthy, tasty smoothie when you get hungry instead of going for that calorie-packed energy bar.
With these little tips, you can lose 10 pounds in no time without even realizing it. If you slip up on your weight loss journey, don’t beat yourself up about it. Give yourself the same kindness that you would offer to a friend, and just keep going.
I’d love to hear your comments if you enjoyed this post. Have other sneaky ways to burn off 10 pounds with little to no effort? Share those below too!