I’ve never been a gal who has been satisfied with an apple for a snack in the afternoon — my sweet tooth can get the best of me if I’m not careful.
With all of the yummy pumpkin breads, scones, and other goodies EVERYWHERE I turned today, I really needed a little treat with my afternoon tea.
And, I didn’t get the Meatless Monday recipe up early today — so it was a perfect day to share this delicious & semi-healthy little treat with you. Ok, maybe healthy is pushing it. But there’s an apple in it, ok?!! 🙂
Today’s Meatless Monday Recipe is an Easy Microwave Apple Crisp for One. It was inspired by a similar recipe from Sophie at My Happy Place (thanks, Sophie!)
Prep time: 10 minutes (and I was taking photos while I was prepping, so if you are quick it is probably even less than that).
Microwave time: 1 1/2 minutes
Here’s what you need:
1 medium sized organic apple (any kind will do, but my favorite are Honeycrisp apples. I buy organic since apples on the the EWG’s Dirty Dozen list)
2 tbsp. organic brown sugar
2 tbsp. quick cook oats
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1. Peel and thinly slice your apple and place in a bowl.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar, half a tablespoon of your flour, 1/8 teaspoon of your cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg
3. Coat the sliced apples with the mixture, and pour it all into a microwaveable mug.
4. In the same bowl you had your apples in, mix together the remaining dry ingredients. Add your butter, and with a fork mash the butter into the dry ingredients to it creates a nice crumbly texture.
5. Pour the crumble right on top of your apples in the mug and pop in the microwave for 90 seconds. Enjoy!
Did you know that there are over 1,000 apple varieties to choose from? Check out this article that I wrote for Clean Eating magazine to learn which kind of apples work best in all of your favorite recipes.