With even the smallest hint of fall in the air, I start wanting to cook up soups and stews! One of my favorite cooking methods is using the ol’ Crock Pot! I love slow cooking when I’m craving warm, homemade food that tastes like it simmered for hours BUT I don’t have hours to watch over it!
For Meatless Monday dinner this evening, try this Black Bean Stuffed Pepper recipe from The New Creative Crock Pot Cookbook by Robin Taylor Swatt.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 30 ounces black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 6 green bell peppers, seeded and cored
- 1 cup reduced-fat Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
How to Prepare:
- In a medium skillet, saute the onion until golden. Season with the cayenne pepper, oregano, cumin and chili powder.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash half of the black beans with sauteed onions.
- Mix in the remaining beans.
- Place the bell peppers in the slow cooker, and spoon the black bean mixture into the bell peppers. Pour the salsa over the cheese.
- Cover; cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve each pepper with a dollop of sour cream.
Here are some other Meatless Monday recipes you might enjoy: