Happy Monday! As promised last week, I’m sticking to my protein-packed Meatless Monday recipe theme this week. Today we’re cooking breakfast!
Who doesn’t want cake for breakfast … especially when its a healthy, tasty, Paleo-friendly pancake recipe 🙂
This recipe uses coconut flour instead of regular flour & egg whites instead of eggs. I like using a carton of 100% cage-free egg whites vs. separating eggs, but it is entirely up to you!
Here’s what you need to make six medium-sized pancakes …
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 scoop vanilla-flavored whey protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 dashes cinnamon
- dash salt
- 2 dashes ginger powder
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tbsp 100% egg whites
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted in microwave (plus extra coconut oil to use in skillet)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (may substitute regular milk here if you aren’t on a dairy-restricted diet)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pam cooking spray
Optional ingredients: Sliced bananas, Pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (coconut flour, whey protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and ginger.)
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg whites, 3/4 cup almond milk, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil.
- Pour the egg white mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir well. You want this batter to be the consistency of regular pancake batter. If it is too thick, add a little more almond milk to thin out.
- Spray a large skillet with Pam cooking spray & heat over medium-low heat. Add a little coconut oil to the pain as well.
- Once oil is melted, pour some of the batter into the skillet to form a 6-inch pancake.
- Cook until the bottom of the pancake has reached a golden-brown color and top is set (you will see the pancake bubbling, just like a regular pancake). Flip & cook the other side.
- Remove from pan & repeat until you have used all of the batter. This recipe makes about 6 pancakes.