It’s Monday again, and time for another Meatless Monday dinner idea! Nothing says comfort food like ooey-gooey warm cheese! Unfortunately, some cheeses are super high in fat & calories, not to mention what it does to your cholesterol levels – yikes!
A few days ago, I had lunch at The Melt at Stanford Shopping Center. As the name suggests, The Melt specializes in grilled cheese sandwiches. While currently there are only about a dozen locations (and just in California at the moment,) The Melt serves up high-quality grilled cheese sandwiches with seasonally fresh soups in an eco-friendly environment.
Though it was delicious, at around 30 grams of fat per sandwich, it’s not something I can treat myself to every day!
I was inspired to find a lighter version to share for Meatless Monday. Here is my take on a Light Grilled Cheese Sandwich. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 slices light whole wheat bread
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 oz low-fat white cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- Place the two pieces of bread onto a baking sheet and lightly drizzle both sides with olive oil.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and let the slices of bread gently brown. This should only take about 3-4 minutes depending on your broiler. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn!
- Flip the bread over & repeat on the other side.
- Once the bread has toasted on both sides, remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan and white cheddar cheeses together.
- Add 2-3 tomato slices to each piece of toast, and sprinkle the cheese blend over the tomato slices.
- Place the baking sheet back into the oven, and remove once the cheese has melted and is bubbling.
- Remove & serve immediately!
That looks so good, I don’t think I can wait until dinner! 🙂
I prefer the Classic Grilled Cheese with Tomato, as in the recipe above. Do you have a favorite grilled cheese sandwich? Tell me about it below!