We were looking to add a little kick to our classic sweet potato side dish a few Thanksgivings ago, and this new favorite was born!
Aside from being delicious, sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, which is known for all of the following:
- Prevention against cancer and heart disease
- To slow the progression of cataracts
- To prevent macular degeneration
- To boost immunity
- To protect the skin against sunburn
- Parkinson’s disease
Try this take on sweet potato casserole if you like them a little bit sweeter. This has gotten rave reviews from everyone I’ve ever served.
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 2 ripe bananas
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Peel sweet potatoes & cut into 2-inch segments. Boil until you can pierce with a fork or until tender enough to mash (but don’t overcook).
- Drain and add to a large pot over low heat for mashing. Begin to mash with a potato masher while slowly adding the cream & butter. Mash until lumps have disappeared. After the cream & butter are incorporated, add the bananas, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Mash until smooth. Season to taste with additional salt & pepper.
Other recipes you might like:
Read more about Meatless Monday!