I was in the mood for some hearty Southern-style dinner ideas, so I checked out the Southern Living website for a few healthy recipes & found this recipe for meatless Peanut-Broccoli Stir-Fry in their list of Fall Farmer’s Market Recipes. Try this for your next Meatless Monday dinner!
- 1 (16-oz.) package firm tofu
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrot sticks
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- Garnish: lime wedges
1. Place tofu between 2 flat plates. Weight the top with a heavy can. (Sides of tofu should be bulging slightly but not cracking.) Let stand 45 minutes; discard liquid. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
2. Prepare rice according to package directions, adding 1/2 tsp. salt.
3. Meanwhile, combine vegetable broth and next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well. Add tofu, and toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove tofu from marinade, reserving marinade.
4. Heat oils in a nonstick skillet or wok over high heat 1 minute. Add tofu, and stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Remove tofu. Add broccoli and carrot sticks; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add reserved marinade, and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until thickened; stir in cooked tofu. Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Garnish, if desired.
Other meatless recipes you might enjoy: