It is officially fall again! Wow, that snuck up fast this year! My favorite thing about fall is the food. I love cooking with pumpkin and squash, and this is the time when all of the new pumpkin recipes are out in full force.
Today’s Meatless Monday recipe idea is for breakfast — Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal!
It’s super easy to make and good for you, but it tastes like you are having dessert for breakfast … and THAT is ok by me. Some of you know that I write about health & nutrition for several magazines, including Z-LIFE (the official Zumba fitness magazine). This recipe is inspired by a cute DIY Pumpkin Breakfast Kit gift (see photo) that Z-LIFE featured in a previous issue.
Here’s what you need to make one serving.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or Truvia Baking Blend
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1. Add oats, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and water to bowl. Make sure the bowl is big enough so that the oats have room to expand. Heat in microwave for two minutes.
2. Add almond or rice milk, pumpkin puree, and sweetener. Sprinkle cinnamon, & pumpkin pie spice on top. Enjoy!
Do you like to cook with pumpkin? Savory or sweet dishes? What are your favorite recipes?