Happy 1st of July! In my opinion, no burger (veggie or otherwise) is complete without a side of fries! I consider myself a french fry connoisseur — try them wherever I go! These fabulous fries were featured in the June 2013 issue of Clean Eating magazine. While you are grilling this 4th of July, try cooking up a batch of these as well (hint: total time is less than 30 minutes!)
Oh, and they are only 154 calories per serving! Can’t beat that!
- 1 lb red or Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 oz finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
How to Prepare:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place potatoes on baking sheet, drizzle evenly with oil and toss to coat lightly. In a small bowl, combine paprika, cumin and garlic powder. Sprinkle paprika mixture evenly over both sides of potatoes, then arrange potatoes in a single layer. Bake in center of oven for 10 minutes, then flip and stir, and bake for 7 minutes or until lightly golden and tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with salt, cheese and pepper. Bake for 2 minutes more or until cheese has melted slightly. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately for peak flavor.
Nutrients per serving (2/3 cup serving cheddar steak fries): Calories: 154, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 0.5 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 187 mg, Cholesterol: 5 mg