Happy Friday! I’ve been posting on Mondays and Thursdays for quite some time, but for the next several weeks I am promoting #FitnessFriday and will be sharing a fitness-related post with you on Fridays. I hope this gets your weekend off to a GREAT start & motivates you to include some movement during the weekend. Don’t forget to schedule some time for FUN too! Remember, it’s all about balance 🙂
This is a 15-minute Arm Definer Workout designed by the Nike Fitness Club trainers with only five moves that you will repeat three times. If you have an iPhone, you can download the Nike Fitness Club app FREE of charge. This is one of the many at-home workouts & stretch routines available to you.
You do not need equipment to do this workout, however, if you choose to use weights you will need a pair of dumbbells and a medicine ball.
The first move in the Arm Definer Workout is Single Leg Arm Curls. In this exercise, weights are optional. If you plan to use weights, grab a pair of 3 or 5-lb dumbbells and let’s get started!
1) Stand with your arms by your sides, palms facing towards you. Your knees should have a very slight bend.
2) Lift one leg, bent at the knee and balance on the standing leg.
3) Hinge from the elbows and bring dumbbells up to your shoulders.
4) Lower and repeat, switching legs after 30 seconds.
Check out this YouTube clip to see this move performed.
The second move is the Alternating Medicine Ball Pushup.
1) Start in push-up position with the medicine ball under one hand.
2) Lower down as far as you can go, then push back up into starting position.
3) Roll the ball to the other hand, and repeat push up on the opposite side.
4) Continue to do this move, switching from one side to another for one minute. To see this move performed, click here.
The third move is the Modified Tricep Pushups.
1) Kneel with your hands out in front of you. Bring hips forward and shift your weight so it is positioned over your shoulders.
2) Lower your upper body towards the floor, keeping your abs pulled in tight & your butt down.
3) Push up and repeat for one minute.
To watch a clip of the Modified Tricep Pushup, click here.
The fourth move is the Sumo Squat with Press.
1) Grab your dumbbells again if using weights.
2) Stand with your feet wide, toes turned out, elbows bent with hands up by your shoulders, palms facing one another.
3) Squat down bringing hips towards the floor, with knees over toes.
4) Squeeze your butt & legs as you come back up, pressing your hands up over your head (palms still facing each other). Repeat for thirty seconds.
To watch a clip of the Sumo Squat with Press, click here.
The fifth & final move is the Plank Row.
1) With dumbbells in hand, bring yourself into the plant position. Start with your weight over your shoulders and your feet in a wide base.
2) Perform a row, bringing your elbow up past your back so there is a slight twist in the torso. Keep elbows close to your sides and abs in tight!
3) Repeat on the other arm. Keep switching sides and repeat for one minute. To watch a clip of the Plank Row, click here.
Take a well-deserved 30 second recovery, breathing in and out. Repeat each move 2 more times (including the 30 second recovery), for a total of three sets.
Question: Do you work out your arms at least a couple of times a week? What is your favorite arm move?