Does your best friend, partner, dad, or someone in your family make you laugh every time you talk to them? If you said “YES,” then you may want to spend time with your favorite jokester.
I spent a couple of hours the other evening catching up with a group of friends, some of whom I hadn’t seen in about a year. I swear, I laughed so hard my cheeks were sore the next morning! It was well worth it, though. And guess what? Research has shown that laughing boasts lots of health benefits. Some of them include:
1) Calorie burner. 10-15 minutes of laughing burns off about 50 calories. Nothing compared to running, but not bad for sitting around having a good time.
2) Immunity booster. Stress takes a huge toll on our immune systems. Some studies have shown that laughing may boost the number of antibodies and immune cells we produce.
3) Tension tamer. Laughter can also stimulate blood circulation and help our muscles relax. Both help reduce stress symptoms!
4) Pain reliever. Scientists at the University of Oxford found that a good laugh is linked with feeling less pain, likely because laughing causes a release of endorphins (which can also act as painkillers.)
5) Memory sharpener. In a study at Johns Hopkins University Medical School in Maryland, humor during instruction led to increased test scores.
What makes you laugh? Got something funny to make us all crack up? Leave it in the comments!!
Other Posts You Might Like: