I’ve always been a little enamored with the French lifestyle. The language and the accent were always very attractive to me, which is probably why I continued studying French after high school. The women I met always seemed so confident (and THIN!) as well.
Now, after visiting France, I can say that some of the romantic imagery in my head is true — the open air markets, the calm, “go with the flow” attitude — and others not (not every woman is stick-thin and walking around town with a snobby poodle).
Most of the food is wonderful and people take time to enjoy what they eat, even if that means not rushing back to the office within 30 minutes (GASP!)
A few weeks ago, I started looking for easy & tasty dinner recipes and I stumbled upon the French Women Don’t Get Fat Cookbook written by once-CEO of the famous Veuve Cliquot champagnerie, Mireille Guiliano.
I highly recommend this cookbook (which you can find here) for a multitude of fabulous recipes!!
One of my favorite recipes in the French Women Don’t Get Fat cookbook is for breakfast … the tantalizing Magical Breakfast Cream recipe. This is extremely tasty, filling, and highly addictive! I’ve been making this just about every morning for the past two weeks, and I can’t get enough. It has also helped reduce the sweet cravings I was having during the day.
I’m excited to share this one with you for Meatless Monday! Here’s what you need to make one serving.
Preparation Time: 10-15 Minutes
1/3 cup yogurt (I used lowfat Greek yogurt)
1 teaspoon flaxseed oil
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey (or to taste)
2 tablespoons finely ground cereal (with no added sugar — I use Udi’s Au Naturel granola)*
2 teaspoons finely ground walnuts*
1. Mix yogurt and oil in a bowl. Add lemon juice and mix well then add the honey and mix well. (It is important to add each ingredient one at a time, mixing well between additions to obtain a smooth, creamy texture.)
2. Add ground walnuts and cereal to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Serve at once.
* You can finely grind the cereal and walnuts using a small food processor or mortar and pestle.
* You can do a week’s worth of grinding cereal/nut mixture and keep it refrigerated so in the morning it will take just an instant to mix together!
* Flaxseed oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, have no fear, you will not taste the oil in the fine creamy blend.
Very simply and oh so tasty! What’s your favorite healthy breakfast recipe?