Happy Meatless Monday! I must be on a southwestern kick. Last week, it was slow-cooker style stuffed peppers, and today it’s Zesty Black Beans & Brown Rice!
This is a great meal you can whip up in thirty minutes or less. Brown rice is high in iodine, potassium, and other essential minerals your body needs. This is one of the few occasions that using an instant product does not mean you are getting less of what is good for you! Instant brown rice contains all of same nutrients as regular brown rice…so you aren’t missing out on one bite of nutritional goodness by taking this short cut.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can low-sodium organic black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 can low-sodium petite diced tomatoes* (do not drain)
- 1 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of kosher salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish (optional)
How to prepare:
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add instant brown rice & chili powder and cook until rice begins to turn golden brown (about 2 minutes). Stir constantly to avoid burning!
- Add the remaining ingredients until combined (except cilantro, salt & cayenne pepper). Cover the and reduce cooking temperature to medium-low heat. Cook until the rice becomes tender (about 15 minutes). Allow dish to stand for about 5 minutes. Add cayenne & pinch of salt. Fluff with a fork, garnish with cilantro, serve, & enjoy!
Looking for other healthy recipes? Take a look at some of these other favorites: