I had more than half a can of organic pumpkin puree left after finishing another recipe as well as some really nice super-ripe persimmons from a friend’s tree, AND I was in the mood for a little baking. What could I do to use up these persimmons and pumpkin?
I scoured the pantry and found some gluten-free oats and chocolate chips, and I was ready to start putting together this new recipe.
After pureeing two large ripe persimmons together with half a cup of pumpkin puree in my food processor, I added the mixture to a bowl containing one cup of quick gluten-free oats. The mixture looked a little runny at this point, so I grabbed my coconut flour (which is known to soak up liquids in recipes) and added 1/3 cup. The consistency was PERFECT after adding the coconut flour.
Next, I added cinnamon, a little Truvia Baking Blend, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I was pretty happy with the results of these cookies. And considering I used NO EGGS and NO BUTTER, they were quite a tasty healthy treat.
Here’s what you need to make two dozen cookies.
- 1/2 cup persimmon puree (use two very ripe persimmons)
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin puree from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup quick-cook oats (if you want this recipe to be gluten-free, make sure you choose oats that say gluten-free on the label)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Truvia Baking Blend
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (for dairy-free cookies, use dairy-free chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add oats to a large mixing bowl.
- Puree the persimmons with the pumpkin puree until texture is smooth. It’s ok if there are still some visible pieces of persimmon once you are done.
- Add the puree to the oats and mix well.
- Add the coconut flour, mixing again.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Add mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet using an ice cream scoop. After all of the cookies are on the baking sheet, use a spatula or your hand to flatten out the mixture into a cookie shape.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Allow to cool before eating. Enjoy!