If you’re like me, you hate throwing away leftovers. As if the waste weren’t bad enough, think of all that time you put into grocery shopping, food prep, and cooking just to toss the leftovers away. Ugh, I hate that!
Stop the madness! Today, I’m showing you 5 Easy Ways to use stuff you probably always have in the fridge to make a great breakfast, lunch, or afternoon snack.
1. Got half a leftover baguette or biscuits from last night’s dinner? How about whipping up French Toast for breakfast or brunch? This recipe is a huge crowd pleaser. As someone who order French Toast every single time I see it on a menu, let me tell you … this recipe makes a mighty fine breakfast or brunch. Got fruit or berries in the fridge too? Perfect! Toss on top for an extra nutrient boost!!
2. If you’re a vegetarian who is always looking to add a little more protein to your meals, then you probably cook quinoa pretty often. Like rice, we tend to cook more than we may use in one serving. Tired of just reheating & eating leftover quinoa? How about trying these awesome Savory Quinoa Cakes? I whipped these up one night before friends were coming over for a cocktail. Even the meat eaters went back for seconds!
3. Usually grab a bowl of instant oatmeal for yourself or make hot instant cereal for the kids? Forget about instant today and try heating up leftover quinoa and topping with yogurt, honey, and berries to make this super fast, easy, and protein-rich Quinoa Breakfast Porridge. So so good!
4. Got leftover veggies or raw veggies with a short shelf-life? Fritattas are a great way to get a good source of protein (from eggs) as well as nutrients from any veggies you have lying around. The Fingerling Potato & Kale Fritatta in the photo used leftover potatoes as well as some kale I had in the fridge that I threw in for even more of a protein boost. The most popular recipe viewed on this blog with loads of Pinterest pins & likes is the Spicy Veggie Fritatta. Again, this is a great way to use up eggs that are nearing the expiration date, whip up a quick dinner, and use some veggies that won’t last much longer in the fridge.
Talk about using up leftovers… if you make this for dinner, you may even have enough to take with you to work for lunch the next day. Heats up in a minute, unlike those frozen dinners that take 8 minutes in the microwave. I’d much rather be eating than wasting ten minutes heating up something full of preservatives in the microwave!! As Sweet Brown would say, “AIN’T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!!!”
5. What about bananas? I don’t know about you, but I like my bananas just after they turn from green to yellow. Once they have spots, I have GOT to hide them in a protein shake, something I’m baking, or transform the ingredient (as they say on Chopped 😉 into something more palatable!! Voila! Try these Sweeter Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Full of beta-carotene (which your body turns into vitamin A), these sweet potatoes have a little brown sugar for taste, but you can easily add stevia, raw honey, or anything you prefer for natural sweetness.
I hope you found this Meatless Monday Recipe Roundup on How To Use Those Leftovers helpful! I’m always looking for ways to use up veggies & other leftovers.
SO TELL ME…
Have you got your own favorite ways to use leftovers? Leave me a comment below & share your tips & tricks!!